Being one of the most popular commonly used tools for overclocking, RivaTuner has gained its popularity, especially among gamers. It has a graphical interface that allows users to perform certain driver-level tweaking. RivaTuner tool is used to improve PC game performance, monitor on-screen system, overclock the graphics card, etc. The last update of RivaTuner was released in 2009. You can also download RivaTuner from this page.
What is RivaTuner?
RivaTuner is a freeware software tool programmed to make computing devices run faster than their original configuration. It was initially developed mainly for the NVIDIA video cards. It supports GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) based display adapters of several ATI graphics processors like ATI RADEON 8500, etc. It also allows users to perform low-level hardware monitoring.
The kinds of tweaking supported by RivaTuner are Direct3D and OpenGL where the former is a Windows-based Graphics API that renders 3D graphics in applications and the latter is an API rendering 2D and 3D vector graphics. Many versions of Windows, including Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows XP, Windows Vistas, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10, are compatible with RivaTuner. Now, RivaTuner is not just a registry tweaking utility, it can work in two modes i.e. tweaking your graphics at driver level as well as low level.
The driver level functioning of RivaTuner includes changing the settings via the registry and reading information directly from the graphics hardware while not changing any configurations of the hardware, setting clock frequencies, changing color schemes, etc. In the low-level mode, RivaTuner interacts with the hardware directly and can make any configuration changes to it. In this mode, Rivatuner programs the registry of the graphics processor. Many other utilities like MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision, and ASUS GPU Tweak have integrated RivaTuner for the overclocking purpose.
Features of RivaTuner:
- It supports the use of multi-monitor or multi-display system.
- It supports an LCD panel from Logitech G15, which is a gaming keyboard.
- It acts as a built-in registry editor that allows the user to change registry settings on windows.
- It is an overclocking tool that helps devices or computers gain additional performance by increasing its operating speed.
- Its hardware monitoring module is from Nvidia and ATI technologies. These are the companies that produce GPUs and chipsets.
- It enables the users to control the fan speed by configuring automatic fan control.
- Besides being compatible with the various versions of Windows, RivaTuner also runs smoothly on any DirectX, Vulkan or OpenGL compatible graphics cards. It doesn’t support Mobile solutions or Mobile graphics solutions.
RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS)
The RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS) initially evolved as companion software to RivaTuner. It later came on to becoming a framerate monitoring and high-performance video capture service provider for the client applications. RTSS still continues to receive updates and many latest APIs and graphics cards. The server makes it easy for APIs like DirectX and OpenGL to collect Framerate and Frametime statistics. Clients connected to the server can access these statistics.
It can also be rendered in the on-screen display provided by the server. High-performance real-time screen capturing support for desktop and video capturing support for live games is provided to the client applications. Screen captures of all formats like BMP, JPG, PNG etc are supported. Other features include custom RTV1 and MJPG video encoding, third party VFW compatible codec based encoding, multi-source stereo audio capture with push-to-talk support, etc.
RivaTuner Statistics Server promises a smooth functioning of PC games by making the frame timing equal and preventing screen tearing while playing games. Several on-screen optimizations and improvements are given by RTSS. It helps in keeping frames appearing on screen in time with your monitor’s refresh rate. The server makes the frame so smooth and stable that it prevents excess frame rendering. You can also design your own skins for RivaTuner Statistics Server, customize it with your local language or even display custom text on the screen. All these extensions can be done using your client application.
Download and Install RivaTuner Statistics Server
RivaTuner is now outdated and it doesn’t comply with the latest graphics cards, hence it is advised to install MSI Afterburner developed by the Guru3D RivaTuner team. RivaTuner Statistics Server can be downloaded directly or it comes bundled with a variant of MSI Afterburner. You might want to check with your card manufacturer to see if you are using or have access to MSI Afterburner variant. EVGAs and video cards have a program called Precision X, which is a rescan of MSI Afterburner and RTSS comes with it.
- Download the RivaTuner Statistics server setup from here.
- Also, you can download the latest full beta version of MSI Afterburner which would already include the stable build of RTSS.
- Alternatively, MSI Afterburner can also be downloaded directly from the official website of MSI.
- A zip file will get downloaded and on extracting the file, you will get a setup file for MSI Afterburner. Install the application using this file.
- Make sure to select the RivaTuner Statistics Server along with MSI Afterburner when asked to select the components to install. Without RTSS, your on-screen display feature would not work.
- Follow the same installation procedure for RTSS as you will be prompted to install it right after you are done with installing MSI Afterburner.
- Open MSI Afterburner and click on settings. Go to the monitoring tab. There you will see many options provided by MSI Afterburner to customize your screen display like GPU temperature, GPU usage, Memory usage, Core clock, and other settings. You can also save these setting in custom group names.
- Save all the settings and click on “OK”. This will open the RivaTuner Statistics Server application.
- By clicking on the Raster 3D tab, a front window will pop up that lets a user change the font settings for the on-screen display. You can also change the color of the text, make it look bigger or smaller, edit the location where you want your tet to be located at.
- While playing a game, all those settings that you had selected will be displayed at your mentioned position, in the same manner, you had changed in the settings.
After successfully installing RTSS on your device, you can test it by setting the frame rate limits really low and then try playing your game to verify that it works. Set it to your monitor’s or TV’s refresh rate after you verify that it is working. To add an exe file of a game to the RTSS server, open RTSS server application, click on the plus(+) sign at the left bottom of the screen, navigate to the location of the exe file of your game, select the exe file and click “open”. You will start seeing the parameters given in the RTSS settings on launching the game you just configured.
Hence, you saw how robust the RivaTuner tweaking tool is. The MSI Afterburner bundled with RivaTuner makes it to the top graphics card utilities of all times.
Image Source: http://www.geeks3d.com